Saturday, March 24, 2007

Funny Singing

Listening to classic rock radio during the day constantly brings me chuckles for the silliness of it. Rockers take having fun so seriously.

But there are two moments in particular that get me every time, just because of the absurdity of how the singer does each line.

The first is John Mellencamp's (or 'Coug, as Che Monet calls him) "Pink Houses," which all my life I thought was titled "Ain't that America." I think he called it "Pink Houses because he thinks he's a poet.

Anyway, it's silly how he outbursts the line:

"And vacation down at the gulf of Mexico!"
(Listen to minute 3:17.

He does this exaggerated vibrato on "co-oh-oh" that sounds like me simultaneously singing and hoola hooping when I was 8.

The second is Billy Joel's (or as I call him, the subletter of my future home), "Big Shot" when he sings

"Yes, yes, you had to be a big shot, didn't cha"

I know I know, he sings that line like 10 times in the song. But there's one time near the end where he does this wierd voice like he got bored of playing the same chords and singing the same lines so he just mixed it up without thinking about it. You'll know it when you see it.


I have no analysis for these silly singing examples, but thought they were worth calling out.

No comments: