Tuesday, March 27, 2007

girlie vs. girl: in response

This is exactly what we began talking about the other night... so what is the definition of being a riot grrrl these days?

As I contacted girl-positive sites for PR on my music, I asked myself, "Would the thirteen year old me who used to surf these sites be proud of my lyrics? How are my songs about boys any different then Hillary Duff's?"

Che, you mentioned it's less about the subject matter, and more about the voice. Having unique opinions. Putting the pen in the woman's hand to hear her perspective.

So #1 - Riotgrrls write their own material.


A screenwriting professor once told me that "everything's been said before, just not by you." So while kudos should be given to writers that focus on taboo or less-covered topics such as politics, there are also loads of amazing songs written about the universal.

What makes them unique? The perspective. Does this make them more feminist, though?

One of my favorite love songs, Heaven Tonight by Courtney Love:

Here comes a kiss that I've never had,
nothing feels like this.
Heading for heaven tonight.
I love you.

Huh-lo! Is that feminist? It's not really anything but giddy. Maybe context will help this case. The above lines are preceded by:

Out on the winding road I couldn't wait
Oh baby, I was afraid
Headed for heaven tonight
I'll go to heaven tonight
I feel the horses coming galloping
I will never grow old
I'll go to heaven tonight
Because I love you for what you are

Poetic horse symbolism.


So #2 - You can get away with some sappy lyrics if they're framed by really intelligent ones.




I welcome your posting of a few more "what makes a riotgrrl" guideline, cuz this is making my head hurt.

No comments: